Test estimation is one of the most active forms of work criteria that is used to ensure that the task is done with a proper approximation. In addition to this, it helps in working on the total time taken by a team to work on the time period.
This time management holds a lot of importance in any software testing. The success of a project depends on proper execution and estimation that works on the development cycle of a project. It is also important due to the reputation of a client that worked on the basis of estimation only.
What to estimate?
There are so many things in a test that are counted for the estimation of test cases such as:
- Time – It is one of the most vital necessities of any project. It is considered at the priority for the completion of an overall project with delivery as per the deadline.
- Cost –Another of the vital thing is to keep in mind is the budget of a project. It will work on the total amount that will be invested in a project for the completion of a project.
- Resources –Without proper resources, it will be difficult to complete any project. It is essential for the testing team to have proper resources to ensure that the project is done as per the requirements. It can be people, funding, facilities, equipment, etc. These resources made sure that the project is completed within the time
- Human Skills –The skills matter a lot as well with experience and knowledge. This is considered for all the members of the team that can affect the estimation as well.
Ways to estimate
There are different techniques to estimate the software such as:
- Delphi technique for the wide-band
- Breakdown structure on the working basis
- Use-case point approach
- 3-point estimation technique for software testing
- Testing point and function point analysis
- Ad-hoc method
- Percentage distribution
A Four-Step Process For Estimation
There is a total of a four-step process that is followed by the other techniques. These are divided into four major steps such as:
- Division of project in smaller modules
- Allocating these divided tasks among members of the team
- Estimating total efforts that are put up in tasks
- Estimating validation
Now, let us go through these proper steps into details.
1. Division of project in smaller modules
There is no doubt that dividing the overall task into small units have a lot of accuracy to it. This is the technique that is similar to the work breakdown structure. These modules are essential to ensure to work on the sub-modules as well. The smallest tasks will be easy to resolve and work on as compared to the whole project.
2. Allocating these divided tasks among members of the team
Once, the tasks are divided into the small modules then make sure to assign them properly. Keep the testing module for testing team, development for developers, an environment built for test administrator, etc.
3. Estimating total efforts that are put up in tasks
The estimation technique will work on two essential parts such as three-point estimation and functional point method. In the later part, the method is divided as per the size, cost, and duration of the project. Whereas in the further point, the best-case estimation, worst case estimation, and likely estimation are calculated.
4. Estimating validation
The final step for the overall project is the aggregation of the project as per the estimation in the management The approval and review of this aggregated estimation are checked in this part of the project. It works on reason and logical part of a project.
Best Practices For Test Estimation
There are different tips that fall under the category of the accuracy of the testing. Such as:
- Buffer time – There is no doubt that a project might consist of some unpredictable things. It can be more time taken by the testing team, members quitting jobs and so on. Hence, it becomes essential to add on some extra time in case of any mishaps. It gives time for the team to overcome some hurdles and ensure that the project is delivered on time.
- Reference experience of past –Here reference means a past project in which the team worked on. These play a vital role in the completion of a project where the time is estimated as per the past experience. There is a huge possibility that a part project or a part of it is similar to the latest one. Hence, it becomes easy to avoid any of the difficulties that one might have tackled in the past. Also, it gives an idea of how things might work out in case a route is taken.
Know : Software Testing Process – What Happens in Software Testing?
- Estimation on planning account resource –There are so many things that might fall into account if a single thing comes up. One might fall sick or have to take an urgent leave. In such a case, it becomes essential to have a few days of space to ensure that the delivery is done on time. Also, the realistic approach is an efficient part of such space to ensure that no major defaults are done.
- Re-estimation–One needs to understand that it is known as estimation because there might be a few things that can go wrong. Hence, it becomes essential for the team to keep checking and modifying the estimation in order to keep fixing them as per the projected There might be a few things that can modify the date of delivery in which, one has to convince customer as well.
- Bug cycle – In software testing, one can never be sure about the bugs in a project. Hence, it becomes essential to put enough time in the test cycle to get things done and still have more time left. This will help in putting things in a flow to get a parameter work done.
- The scope of the project – Another of the essential thing is that the scope of a project must be defined well. This will also include the test scripts, test data, and test bed to set off the work.
The overall software test estimation is one of the most vital approaches that is used in a project. Professionals will work on the experience to get involved with the industry approach.
It works on the use case and test case point with a proper practice that will get in help with an open mind. These customization will work amazingly well with the process. Hence, it will ensure the success of the project.