Compatibility testing is a non-functional test which ensures complete and proper working of an app as expected for all desired customers.
Compatibility testing is conducted in mobile applications for the following reasons:-
- This testing is performed to make sure that the final app product performs as expected on various mobiles/devices of different make and models
- This is a type of non-functional testing whose main aim is to check the compatibility of applications with browsers, mobiles, networks, databases, operating systems, hardware platforms etc.
- Through this method, the behavior of a mobile app in different environments can be analyzed
- With this testing, a tester can detect any error before the final launch of the mobile application in the market
- This testing confirms that all the necessary requirements sets by the developer and end-user have been met by the app
- Helps to create a top-notch bugs free applications which helps in accelerating reputation of the firm and move the business towards success
- A dynamic compatibility testing ensures stability and workability of the mobile app before it finally gets released in the market
Types of Compatibility Testing
They are Two Types: Forward Testing and Backward Testing
1) Forward testing makes sure that the application is compatible with updates or newer mobile operating system versions.
2) Backward testing checks whether the mobile app has been developed for latest versions of an environment also work perfectly with the older version. The behavior of the new hardware/software has been matched against the behavior of the old hardware/software.
Read Also: 6 Types Of Software Testing Models
Compatibility type of testing can be performed on operating systems, databases, systems software, browsers, and mobile applications. The mobile app testing is performed across various platforms, devices, and networks.
The Process of Conducting Compatibility Testing
The compatibility test is conducted under different hardware and software application conditions, where the computing environment is important, as the software product created must work in a real-time environment without any errors or bugs.
Some of the main computing environments are the operating systems, hardware peripherals, browsers, database content, computing capacity, and other related system software if any.
The Initial Phases of Conducting Compatibility Testing are as Follows:
- Define the platforms on which mobile app is likely to be used
- Create the device compatibility library
- Make a drawing of various environments, their hardware’s, and software to figure out the behavior of the application in different configurations
- Initiate a testing environment and start compatibility testing across multiple platforms, networks, and mobile devices. After noticing the behavior report any error or bugs detected and get them fixed.
- Again perform the testing by following the same process, till no bugs can be found.
Types of Compatibility testing
- Hardware –To ensure compatibility across various hardware devices
- Operating system – To make sure that the software works equally across various OS’s
- Network – Software is tested with various fluctuating parameters of a network
- Devices – How the software is performing across various devices
- Versions – To check the compatibility across various versions of OS across devices such as backward compatibility resting and forward compatibility testing
- Customer complaints can be avoided in the future
- Feedback in the testing stage will enhance the development process
- Apart from compatibility, scalability, and usability, stability will be revealed
- Makes sure that every prerequisite is set and agreed by the engineer and the client
- Ensures success in business
- Reputation and goodwill of the company will increase
The main intention behind performing compatibility testing is to make sure that the software is working fine in any kind of platform/software/configuration/browsers/hardware etc.
Performing compatibility testing will reduce the gross error of the software. Thus this comparatively inexpensive process is a boon to ensure that your product is a success.
There are some most common defects which can be found in the mobile application by the compatibility tester; Differences in the UI with respect to appearance and feel, issues with font size and alignment, concern with respect to Scroll Bar and marked changes in CSS style and color, issues like broken tables or frames, etc.
Testbytes overcome challenges associated with this testing like system integration, app distribution management, performance and security, platform, OS, and device integration, and physical characteristics of mobile devices, etc. and offers comprehensive mobile app testing services.