Test automation framework uses a software to execute tests and then determine whether the resulted outcomes and the predicted outcomes are the same or not. Every organization needs software testing adequately, as quickly and thoroughly as possible. To accomplish this, organizations are turning to use automated testing methods.
As test automation frameworks are application independent, it has the ability to expand with the needs of each application. It promotes automation technologies to improve test coverage and gain better quality products. These frameworks help testers to save thousands of manual test execution hours and reduce costs significantly.
Let’s briefly look into the 5 main test automation categories and its functions:
1) Linear Automation Framework: This is the most simple framework of all types. Here, individual scripts are used for each test case and they are executed individually. This process enables the conversion of small or medium sized manual scripts to corresponding automation scripts.
2) Module-based Testing Framework: This framework is based on object oriented programming method and uses the concept of abstraction. While testing, the application is divided into different modules, where each module consists of individual test scripts. The separation of modules is done using an abstraction layer, so that if any changes occur, it wouldn’t affect the other modules.
3) Data-Driven Testing Framework: In this type of testing, the necessary inputs and expected output results are stored in separate data files. Here, a single driver test can execute all the necessary test cases with different sets of data. A driver script consists of functions like reading the data files, navigating through the entire program etc.
4) Keyword-Driven Testing Framework: This is an application independent framework that utilizes data tables and self-descriptive keywords, which explain the functions to be performed on the testing application.
The external input data file showcases the functions through ‘directives’, which are seen within the test scripts. These directives are called keywords. Therefore, this keyword based testing is considered to be an extension of the data-driven framework.
5) Selenium Automation Framework(SAF): SAF is the most widely used, customized, open-source framework today for automated web application testing. As it reduces the initial coding efforts, SAF increases the efficiency of automation than any other framework.
SAF helps enterprises to speed up the testing mechanism by using accelerators at the test design layer and provides a comprehensive reporting strategy for managing tests.
In order to move with the pace of software testing strategies, development and delivery, it is essential to implement the most effective, reliable and reusable test automation frameworks. It’s not advisable to still hang on to the traditional methods as tools alone can never provide a long-term automation success, when compared to the other latest test automation frameworks.
Automation Testing Career Trends 2019Mar 12, 2019
Test Case Management in jira: How to do it?Feb 1, 2019
Top 10 Automation Testing Tools 2019Jan 11, 2019
6 Reasons For Automation Testing FailureNov 14, 2018
Selenium Automation Testing With Cucumber IntegrationOct 19, 2018
10 Key Factors for Successful Test AutomationAug 27, 2018
15 Top Selenium WebDriver Commands For Test AutomationJul 19, 2018
Test Automation Frameworks: Future of Software TestingJul 3, 2018
Automation Test For Your Software: Go Through This Ultimate GuideApr 30, 2018