Testing is not a job, it is actually a process. Let’s say you are into manual testing in a project. You have worked for about two years in the project and you are bored since you don’t find any more bugs. This doesn’t mean that your work is complete, but is surely meant that you need to have a different approach and it’s time to rejuvenate you manual testing skills by being a good learner all over again.
Testing is indeed challenging since you have to continuously keep yourself updated about the project changes and requirements. Moreover, your timely inputs are vital to make the product better. Here are some quick tips to improve your manual testing skills.
1. Have minimal distractions while testing
- Testing includes a lot of analytical thinking and reasoning.
- This can be possible only if you have a good environment with minimum disturbing elements.
- Try using headphones whenever you find yourself getting distracted too soon.
- This will help you to concentrate on the testing process to come up with amazing test cases.
2. Inculcate a habit of thinking about everything you see around
- Not only while testing, but make a habit of thinking and analyzing day to day events as well.
- Also, get into the habit of observing things which will help your mind prepare test ideas which might be helpful for your project at times.
- When you are observing simple things around yourself, you will soon be able to co-relate things and draw conclusion very quickly.
3. Keep diversified knowledge as well as interests
- These days, it is expected that the quality person will come with knowledge about many things other than his domain.
- This, automatically, increase the worth of the person. When it comes to development of a product, try to keep yourself well updated about life cycle, documentation of the product, programming and analysis as well as testing processes.
- Of course, you cannot be the master of everything, but have good knowledge and idea about all the important domains other than just yours will surely increase your market value manifold.
4. Sharpen your mind by playing mind and strategy games
- If you are really keen on polishing your manual testing skills, then try to play games which test your strategy planning and analytical thinking.
- Games like pattern finding, finding missing letters and problem solving games will help a lot in keeping your mind alert all the time.
- Once your mind is sharp enough, you will be able to find bugs and errors within no time, helping you to progress well in the field of manual testing.
Also Read : Best Software Testing Tools You Must Know in 2019
5. Practice pattern recognition
- This trick is basically to enhance your alertness in finding the bug.
- For instance, when you have to compare to pieces of similar code and come up with small bugs which might go unnoticed, you will able to draw conclusions in no time.
- For a small piece, it won’t make much difference, but when it comes to a lot of information and lengthy code, it is very helpful.
6. Purely physical as well as mental breaks are essential
- You don’t have to always take a long physical break and come back.
- It can also mean just leaning back on a chair, or stretching for about a minute or two or closing your eyes and relaxing your mind.
- Breaks are essential so that you come back with a fresh mind to go on with the testing process quickly.
- It also brings about a change in thinking process and refreshes it.
- This, in turn, helps you to think in a better manner and come up with test scenarios and bugs which would take time otherwise.
- Dig deep and deep into the product or application given to you for testing.
- Try to fit yourself in all the categories other than just testing, which will expand your horizon so that you can test efficiently.
- Other than this, the best option is to be an exploratory tester who can think all the possibilities and help in making the product strong.
7. Understand the Requirements
- Best thing that a tester can put their hands on is to understand the overall requirement of the software.
- It is essential to make sure that tester has a clear understanding of test objects and to work around it to grasp the scope.
- It also includes getting an insight into the development of software that is a great addition to Manual Testing Skills.
- This help in testing products and getting a viewpoint to the system while focusing on its depth and to get the sub-point category about it.
8. Agile and DevOps Methodology
- The development world has embraced the concept of Agile and DevOps with open arms.
- Majority of companies now work with these methodologies to meet the outcome.
- The major thing about such techniques is that it helps in meeting deadlines and work with methodologies in a better way.
- The testers are now learning the whole concept to get ideal results.
- In addition to this, the cross-functional teamwork has also helped the overall quality assurance, analysis, and development team to get the right result.
- The aim is to obtain high-quality work that can reach a new height in the market.
- In addition to this, the methodologies have removed silos and rigidity from the market.
- This continuous release and phase-wise development to get phase attention in the development world.
9. Practice writing and testing
- The test cases are prepared beforehand when it comes to testing. Hence, make sure to work upon the software that can easily focus on the development cycle.
- In addition to this, the improvement and learning of the skills in terms of reporting is also counted when it comes to testing.
- Hence, it is best to jot down the test cases and practices that are to be followed in the software.
- This is a great way to enhance the reporting skills as well to write down accurate data in the file.
- It even includes concisely worked bugs that can be eliminated easily. The bugs reports can easily be analyzed as per the project report and content that can express overall data sets.
- To make things easy, tables and tabular content form can be used to make other teammates understand every aspect.
Also Read : Top 150 Software Testing Interview Questions & Answers
- Just because tester doesn’t have to code much, doesn’t mean that it is not essential for them to know about codes.
- The programming knowledge is vital for the testers as well since they are going to run tests on codes and software.
- This knowledge helps them to understand the manner and set of error that might be popping up.
- The thing is that if an error or bug is in a smaller part then tester can easily fix it or direct developers towards it.
- This also helps them to understand the overall development issue in a better manner.
- In addition to this, the testers can also work upon the requirements and know what is expected of them.
11. Seminars and Training
- Another Manual Testing Skills includes the involvement of seminars and training.
- The fact is that there are the latest advancement and techniques added up to domains.
- However, not everyone has an idea about such advancement and hence it is essential to participate in seminars and training.
- This includes the knowledge about the latest domain and new applications.
- Along with this, the training and seminars include the vast idea about testing.
- In addition to this, the testing opportunity and also to know more about testing techniques.
- It is an ideal way to work with the growing skills for testing and to know how to implement the latest advancements to it.
12. Management Knowledge
- One can never know enough. Hence, make sure to learn from others to get the best possible outcome.
- It is a vital Manual Testing Skills that allows testers to learn from others.
- This can be done with the help of meetups, seminars, training, and It is a great way to enhance possibilities and to explore the ideas that are out of the box.
- The best thing is to learn from the mistakes done by your teammates. It is a great way to focus on the defects and bugs of software development and testing.
- There are also innovative methodologies that are implemented and discussed in a simpler model.
- The testing strategies can be tested and improved in an easy manner with the help of data and ideas gathered.
- The integrations and complexities are increasing with time and it is not possible for the testers to depend upon manual testing only.
- Hence, add automation to your Manual Testing Skills that has become a vital point.
- There are a number of layers that are added up to integration and databases.
- This also includes the headless, performance, complexities, etc. that work well with automation.
- Hence, automation skill is extremely essential for checking up the accuracy of software.
- In addition to this, it also includes how logic is essential in terms of the development and for the success of software.
- The test automation tools are used to offer testing type support for features to check on the efficiency at a rapid rate.
14. Professional Network
- There is no doubt that opportunity is a vital addition when it comes to exploring testing domain.
- It includes a community of software testing as well that one must be focused on to get an insight and know more about the platform.
- It includes discussions, forums, and platforms to enhance the professional
- This has a great way to know what other testers are working upon and build a network on an expert level.
- It is a way to make it interesting and making the latest advancement to the projects.
- In case of errors, the testing projects can be discussed and more knowledge can be added to an already enhanced set of data conceptualization.
15. Creativity and Intellectuality
- There is no mundane task or routine that is added up to software The overall process of Manual Testing Skills is added up with intellectual and creativity that no one can learn.
- Nevertheless, there is a way to enhance these skill sets while working on out-of-the-box ideas.
- The analyses and behavior of the application are added up to ensure that software is working.
- In addition to this, the solution and insights can be applied to the intelligent aspects of the test cases.
- There are also different test scenarios that work up to ensure that testers can get the best possible results.
- The seeking of possibilities of the solution and identifying probabilities of the defect are the vital parts covered.
- This also ensures that the quality of software is maintained to get ideal software that can boost productivity and enhance ROI in the market.
No matter what the total experience of a tester is, improvement and learning are a vital part for them. This continuously strives up software knowledge and testing skills. The main purpose is to ensure that the program is well engaged and self-learning as well.
Also Read : 30 Most Effective Mobile App Ideas For 2019
This also includes methodologies, approaches, processes, etc. that can be continuously learned. It is a great way to apply new skills along with staying abreast and ahead of the competition. The Manual Testing Skills are a great way to move ahead in testing career and gain a higher approach towards software world.