Nowadays, automation is an integral part of mobile software testing. The main aim in performing automation testing is continuous integration and deployment. This helps companies to minimize their production time and to increase product features and quality.
New tools are popping up every day for performing tests in both Android and iOS. Here are the top trending automation testing tools that you should keep an eye on in 2017.
It is a free(open source) web automated tool which can be used in performing tests on web applications. This tool is quite similar to HP Quick Test Pro. Selenium is a suite of software where each caters to different testing needs of an organization. The four components of Selenium are:
- Selenium Remote Control
- Selenium Grid
- Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
- Easy to use, install and saves time enormously
- Support extensions
- Enable export of tests to other formats
- Has built-in help system and test results reporting module
- Can be used in cross-platforms and cross-browser
- Faster program execution and support data-driven testing
- Simultaneous running of tests in multiple browsers
Robotium is a powerful test framework tool used to write automatic UI test cases for Android applications.
- Shorter codes which are easy to write
- Can be run on devices and emulators
- Automatically carries out functions
- Automatic timing and delays
- Fast test execution
- Handles multiple Android activities
- Readability of test cases are improved compared to other standard instrumentation tests
- Integrates smoothly with Maven/Ant to run tests
3) Watir (Web Application Testing In Ruby)
It is a flexible tool based on Ruby language which is easy to write tests and maintain test cases. Watir is a free Open Source tool which can be used for free.
- Supports web app, multiple browsers etc.
- It is powerful and easy to use
- Ideal for functional and regression testing
- Can achieve good test coverage
- Natively supports IE
- Whilst Watir supports Internet Explorer and Watir-Web Driver supports Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and Opera
It is an open-source mobile test automation tool used for functional testing. This is a cross-platform automation tool for hybrid and native iOS, Android applications. Appium works like a server, same like in selenium server.
- Supports programming languages- Java, Ruby, C# and other languages in WebDriver library
- Can be used as a testing frame
- Using Java, it can be integrated with other tools
- No need to re-compile mobile app on a different platform due to use of standard automation APIs
- Appium supports multiple platforms: Android, iOS, Windows, Firefox OS etc.
BugSee is a cloud-based tool that reports about bugs and crashes to the bug tracker. This tool is equivalent to a black box/flight recorder for mobile apps. It is supportive of apps built on React Native, Cordova but the SDK need to be embedded in Android and iOS apps.
- Can be used in all three phases of beta testing, live deployment and initial development
- Allows you to report a bug directly from the app by just clicking on the screen shot
- Reports include full events log, console logs, network traffic along with details of environment
- Monitors and records the state of a system
- This tool captures video of user interactions in live apps and helps in bug tracking
6) Sencha Test
This tool is used to test both web and mobile applications. Functional testing of apps can be made using this tool. It builds a unique URL that is useful in mobile browsers of real devices.
- Works seamlessly with JS framework to perform tests quickly
- Execute apps to multiple browsers and help improve product quality and developer efficiency
- Integrate with Continuous Integration systems and create tests quickly
- Debug and fix test scripts
- Use powerful APIs to target specific JS components in the app
- Maximize testing efficiency
7) Monkey Talk
This is a cross-platform tool that performs real, interactive and functional tests. It works more efficiently in the case of automation testing of a simulator/ real hardware devices. This tool mainly consists of three components- IDE, Agents, Scripts.
- It is an open-source tool which is free to use
- A complete and powerful testing tool
- Simple and easy to learn
- Supported on both phones and tablets
- It supports looping concept i.e. any command can be looped using a CSV file
- Can generate reports of both Html and XML using this tool
This is an open source testing framework for both Android and iOS. Calabash provides a separate library for automation of Android and iOS. It supports cucumber which helps you to express the behaviour of the app in basic English language executing Behaviour-Driven Development(BDD).
- It is written in Ruby
- It supports Cucumber(Gherkin Syntax) i.e. allows writing tests in natural language
- Provides a bridge that allows Cucumber tests to run and validate on iOS/ Android
- Calabash works by enabling UI interactions such as text inputs, response validations and button clicks with an app
- Supports testing in real-devices
KIF is an open-source testing tool and iOS integration test framework developed by Square. It can be used to implement test cases with objective C. During work, the test cases are integrated and there is no need for additional servers.
- As it is similar to the KIF Grey Box Test Tool, you just need to know about the structure of the app that is to be tested
- It uses the available accessibility labels from iOS for interacting with UI
- Quickly execute test cases and is easy to learn
- Easy to learn and automatic integration with Xcode
- Supports for various iOS versions
Testdroid is a cloud-based testing program that helps developers to save costs in app development. It is one of the fastest ways to test your application with various Android and iOS devices.
- Solid mobile game testing platforms for Android and iOS games.
- Allows remote manual access to real devices
- Helps in saving app development costs
- Minimal risks with real devices during agile testing
- This tool allows enterprises to test Android apps by availing cloud-based services
It is a test automation framework that can be used in both native and hybrid UI of Android apps. Selendroid can be used on real devices and emulators. Even though it still uses Selenium infrastructure for the web, users can also use Selenium 2 to write test cases.
- It can create support sign of user interactions(swipe, drag, touch etc.) on devices
- Support multi-Android API version
- There is no need to modify an app while performing automated testing
- Interact with multiple devices
- Has built in Inspector tools that help you to identify the UI of the app under test
- You can plu and unplug devices during the test without pausing/restarting, Selendroid automatically recognises devices
It is a black-box GUI test automation tool used for Android and iOS apps. Scripting on EggPlant is done by using a scripting language called Sense Talk. It helps to test your app faster and better with less effort for executing functional testing.
- It can interact with any device including mobile, desktop, tablet, server, and IoT devices
- EggPlant tool uses image analysis technology to conduct UI testing
- Create automated tests quickly
- Tests your app from any host operating system
- Provides embedded system testing, acceptance testing, load-testing, multi-user functional testing and data-driven testing
- Test can be performed from any operating system- Windows, Mac OSX, Linux
- No plug-in required
- Easy integration with quality management software
As businesses are getting more complex, it gets difficult for individuals to keep up with the management of testing systems. Every software testing organization requires automated testing processes to accomplish consistent and speedy mobile software testing. With the help of such automated tools, testers are enabled to check the functioning of the apps on multiple devices.
Before you pick the right tool, proper research and identification of exact test cases are essential to meet your automation needs. So, to start with, its important to know about the latest trends happening in the industry and utlize them for mobile software application testing to get an efficient output.